See ‘Anstey: A Complete History From the Norman Invasion to World War One‘ for much more on the Birmingham Ansteys. In addition to biographies of various Anstey individuals who make up this sub-branch, the book contains a plethora of Anstey research and statistics, including an analysis of how the Birmingham Ansteys fit into the pedigree descendent from Hubert de Anesti, the 12th century originator of the ‘Anstey’ surname.
BI 10. Arthur Anstey: He was born in 1839 in Birmingham to father Simeon Anstey (BI 4) and he was living with his parents in Livery Street in the 1851 Census. He became a jewellery case maker living at George Street, Birmingham and married (probably) Elizabeth Homer (b 1842 Birmingham, though we cannot find the marriage entry to confirm this) in c1866. They had children in Birmingham
- Arthur Anstey (BI 22 – b 1867);
- Edwin Anstey (b 1868, died in 1877 buried at Witton Cemetery, Birmingham);
- Selina Anstey (b 1870);
- Elizabeth Anstey (b 1872, living with her brother Arthur (BI 22) in the 1891 Census);
- Caroline Anstey (b 1876, died 1888 buried at Witton Cemetery);
- Henry Anstey (BI 50 – b 1879, aka Harry, served during World War One);
- George Anstey (b 1880, living with his brother Arthur (BI 22) in the 1891 & 1901 censuses. He married Lily [Susan?] Clements in 1902 in West Bromwich and they had children in Birmingham Lily May Anstey (b 1907); Violet Anstey (b 1913); Harold Arthur Anstey (b 1915); and Margaret M. Anstey (b 1921). In the 1911 Census he was a silver polisher living with his family at 43 Great Russell Street Birmingham); and
- Ada Anstey (b 1884, living with her brother Arthur (BI 22) in the 1891 Census and still living with him in the 1911 Census).
He died in 1886, and his widow Elizabeth probably died in 1890 (buried in Witton Cemetery) so in the 1891 Census the family was living in Brearly Street, Birmingham headed by their eldest son Arthur (BI 22) and his wife Charity.
Anybody who can add anything to this account, or finds any mistakes on this page, please contact us at email@example.com.