Arthur Charles Anstey (DY 58)

See ‘Anstey: A Complete History From the Norman Invasion to World War One‘ for much more on the Dyrham Ansteys. In addition to biographies of various Anstey individuals who make up this sub-branch, the book contains a plethora of Anstey research and statistics, including an analysis of how the Dyrham Ansteys fit into the pedigree descendent from Hubert de Anesti, the 12th century originator of the ‘Anstey’ surname.

DY 58. Arthur Charles Anstey: He was born on 25 October 1876 in Dyrham to parents William Anstey (DY 32) and Eliza Hook. He was living with his parents in Dyrham Street in the 1901 Census, working as a gardener. He married Annie Edwards in 1906 in Chipping Sodbury and they one child: 

  • Winifred May Anstey (b 10 May 1907 Dyrham, living with her parents in 1921 – she married Thomas Dunwoody in 1936 in Chipping Sodbury and they were living at 34 Church Avenue, Pinner, Harrow in 1939).

In the 1911 Census the family were living at Hind’s Cottage Dyrham Park where he was a ‘Hand on gentleman’s estate‘ – also living with them was Annie‘s father Henry Edwards. The ‘Western Daily Press‘ 04 September 1914 reported “DYRHAM BURNING FATALITY INQUEST AND VERDICT. Last evening, at the Church School, Dyrham, Mr Edwin Watts deputy coroner for the Lower Division of Gloucestershire), held an inquest concerning the death of Henry Edwards. Annie Anstey, daughter of deceased, deposed that deceased, who was 83 years of age, resided at Dyrham Park Lodge alone. Witness called on him several times daily. He had done no work for eight years. He had suffered from bronchitis and rheumatism for some years and had been attended by Dr. Hawes. Lately he had been confined to his bed. He was nervous and afraid he would fall in the fire. On the 1st inst. she left him in bed about eight in the evening. On the previous day smoke was seen coming from the windows of the lodge. A part of the rug was burnt, and she thought he might have overturned a lighted candle. The palliasse was also burnt. The previous day, when witness was at her own home in bed, Harry Long, a labourer on the Dyrham Park Estate came to her and told her what happened… a verdict of death from heart failure following shock from an accidental burn was returned by the jury“.

In 1921 the family were living in Dyrham, then in 1924 his wife died in Dyrham. By 1939 he was a ‘widowed general estate labourer’ in Dyrham. He died in Uxbridge in 1954, almost certainly whilst with his daughter who was living there.

Anybody who can add anything to this account, or finds any mistakes on this page, please contact us at

%d bloggers like this: