See ‘Anstey: A Complete History From the Norman Invasion to World War One‘ for much more on the Birmingham Ansteys. In addition to biographies of various Anstey individuals who make up this sub-branch, the book contains a plethora of Anstey research and statistics, including an analysis of how the Birmingham Ansteys fit into the pedigree descendent from Hubert de Anesti, the 12th century originator of the ‘Anstey’ surname.
BI 32. Edwin Henry Anstey: Also known as Edward, he was born in 1850 in Birmingham, baptised in Birmingham St Chad’s Cathedral (Catholic) as “Edwardus Henricus, son of Jacobi Anstey and Emma Brown“, to parents James Anstey (BI 20) and Emma Brown. He married Ellen Ford in 1870 in Birmingham and they had children in Birmingham:
- Emma Eliza Anstey (b 1872, a polisher in 1891. She married John Tipper in c1895 and was living with her parents in 1901. By the 1911 Census she was living with her family and her sister Minnie at 80 Heneage St Ashted Birmingham);
- Minnie Agnes Anstey (b 1874, a pen marker in 1901 and living with her sister Emma Tipper at 80 Heneage St Ashted Birmingham in the 1911 Census. She married Frank Henry Summers on 3 June 1911 in Ashted, giving her age fully nine years younger than her true age);
- Samuel James Anstey (b 1876, a ‘sewing button maker’ in 1891 and a blacksmith in 1901. He married Elizabeth Betsy XXX in c1906 and they had a son Samuel James Anstey (b 1909 Aston). In the 1911 Census the family were living at 90 Duddeston Mill Road Birmingham where Samuel was a ‘blacksmith’s striker’);
- Edward Charles Anstey (b 1878, a tank maker in 1901);
- Ellen Catherine Anstey (b 1881, alive in 1901); and
- Florence May Anstey (b 1886, died 1887 buried at Witton Cemetery)
The family were living at Ct 47/, 5, Irving Street, Birmingham in the 1881 Census where he was a tube drawer. By 1891 they were living at Brighton Terrace, Irving Street, Birmingham where he was a pencil case maker – ditto 1901.
Anybody who can add anything to this account, or finds any mistakes on this page, please contact us at email@example.com.