George Anstee (MJ 10)

See ‘Anstey: A Complete History From the Norman Invasion to World War One‘ for much more on the Majorca Anstees of Victoria. In addition to biographies of various Anstey individuals who make up this sub-branch, the book contains a plethora of Anstey research and statistics, including an analysis of how the Majorca Anstees of Victoria fit into the pedigree descendent from Hubert de Anesti, the 12th century originator of the ‘Anstey’ surname.

MJ 10. George Anstee: He was born in 1876 in Timor, Majorca to father George Anstee (MJ 5). In 1898 “Renewals of slaughtering licenses were granted to the following;— George Anstee, Pitfield Plains“. He married Phoebe Jane Thorpe (b 1881) in 1902 in Victoria having children: 

  • Herbert John Anstee (b 1903 Pitfield Plains, died 1905); 
  • Lewis George Anstee (b 1905 Corowa, known as George – a ward of the Neglected Childrens department in 1913 – see below. He married in 1942 and died in 1964 buried at Fawkner Memorial Park Fawkner, Moreland City, Victoria); 
  • Ethel Sara Alda Anstee (b 1906 Scarsdale, a ward of the Neglected Childrens department in 1913 – see below. She married Timothy Dwyer in 1927); and 
  • Frederick Norman Anstee (b 1908 Scarsdale, a ward of the Neglected Childrens department in 1913 – see below. He probably married Gwendoline Agatha Smart in 1930 and died in 1986 in Altona North, Hobsons Bay City, Victoria “Gwen Anstee, wife Bruce Anstee, son Kevin Anstee, son Phoebe Anstee, daughter Norm Anstee, son“).

In c1911 the family were in Cape Clear south west of Ballarat. Phoebe died in 1911 in Cape Clear – The ‘Ballarat Star‘ on 9 June 1911 reported “Mr S. J. Goldsmith, District Coroner was yesterday notified by the Cape Clear police that Mrs Phoebe Jane Anstee, a resident of that district, had died suddenly. As no doctor had been in attendance no certificate as to the cause of death was forthcoming. The coroner directed that a post-mortem examination should be made of the body’ and that a local justice should hold an enquiry“.

The ‘Argus’ on 30 August 1913 reported “WARDS OF THE STATE. DAYLESFORD, Friday – Constable Strain sued George Anstee at the police court for having failed to contribute towards the maintenance of his three children, George, Ethel and Frederick, wards of the Neglected Childrens department. Defendant, eight months ago, left Daylesford for New South Wales to obtain work, leaving the children with his brother and sister-in- law. He promised to send money for the maintenance of his children. Albert Jorgernsen, an officer of the department said that the children who were boarded out were costing the State 6/6 a week each. The Bench made an order for the payment bv the father of 5/ a week for each child as from July 17

The ‘Daylesford Chronicle’ on 5 Feb 1914 reported “AN ORDER DISOBEYED. A FATHER IN ARREARS ‘ The RESULT .OF GOING RACING; At yesterday’s court, George Anstee was charged, on bail, by Clerk of Courts Morris, with neglecting to obey an order of the court made on August 27, directing ‘him to pay the sum of 30s. per fortnight for the maintenance of his three children. now wards of the State. Defendant pleaded guilty. He ‘was undefended. Sergeant Myers said that defendant left his three children about a year ago with his sister-in-law, and totally unprovided for. The lady was leaving Daylesford, and asked that the children should be placed on the State, as she . was unable to provide for them. Subsequently the court made an order for 30s per fortnight against accused, who had not paid anything. He had been traced all over New South Wales and Victoria. and was eventually run to earth at South Melbourne on January 20.. The children were still with the department. Their ages were nine, seven, and five years. Defendant said the children had been left with his mother, who being taken ill, left them with his sister-in law, who handed them over to the Stale. His mother had since tried to regain possession of the children. He left the State in order to obtain Work. He had been ten days already in the Melbourne gaol, and was quite prepared to do his best by paying ‘his arrears in instalments, as he had nothing at present. He had employment to go to if allowed at liberty… he was in New South Wales when the order was made against him, earning his £2 per .week. Worked till about the middle of October, then came to Melbourne. About the end of November he started work at Sharp’s timber yard at South Melbourne, and worked until arrested....”

He died in 1930 – the ‘Albury Banner‘ on 14 February 1930 reported “The death has occurred at Hanwood of Mr. George Anstee, aged 53 years. Mr. Anstee was formerly a Broken Hill miner.

Anybody who can add anything to this account, or finds any mistakes on this page, please contact us at

%d bloggers like this: