See ‘Anstey: A Complete History From the Norman Invasion to World War One‘ for much more on the Dyrham Ansteys. In addition to biographies of various Anstey individuals who make up this sub-branch, the book contains a plethora of Anstey research and statistics, including an analysis of how the Dyrham Ansteys fit into the pedigree descendent from Hubert de Anesti, the 12th century originator of the ‘Anstey’ surname.
DY 40. George Joseph Anstey: He was born in 1846 in Lambeth/Brixton Hill to father George Anstee (DY 22). He married Elizabeth Sutton (b c1846 Folkestone) in 1869 in Newington and they had children in Lambeth:
- Alfred Ernest Anstey (DY 65 – b 1870, served during World War One);
- Florence Mary Anstey (b 1872, married William Henry Ridgwell in 1892 in Southwark and in the 1911 Census they were living at 79 Plains of Waterloo Ramsgate with her mother);
- George Edwin Anstey (b 1876, died 1879);
- Herbert William Anstey (DY 68 – b 1878, served during the Second Boer War and World War One);
- Elizabeth Phillis Anstey (b 1881, in 1901 she was an unmarried patient and shirt ironer at Charing Cross Hospital);
- George Alexander Anstey (b 1883, not to be confused with George Alexander Anstey (1888-1915). He married Lillie Ellen Mary Dunsdon on 29 September 1906 in Walworth and they had a daughter Ivy Dora Anstey (b 1907 Edmonton). In the 1911 Census he was a printer’s cutter living with his family (including his sister in law Florence Dunsdon) at 64 Grosvenor Road Lower Edmonton – he died on 19 June 1928 living at The Cedars, Swinburne Avenue, Broadstairs, Kent, effects to “Lillie Ellen Mary Anstey widow”); and
- Mabel Louise Anstey (b 1887, she married her first cousin William Henry Anstey (DY 67) in 1906).
In the 1881 and 1891 censuses he was a baker living at 7, Warwick Street, Lambeth. He died in 1895 in Lambeth, “aged 48“. By the 1901 Census Elizabeth Anstey (widow) was living with her younger children at 321, Kennington Road, Lambeth and in the 1911 Census she was living with her daughter Florence Mary Ridgwell at 79 Plains of Waterloo Ramsgate.
Anybody who can add anything to this account, or finds any mistakes on this page, please contact us at email@example.com.