Frederick Garwood Anstey (b 1879)

by Gary. M. Ansteychief researcher of the Anstey story project.

Frederick Garwood Anstey, a member of the Crediton Ansteys connected to the South West Peninsula Anstey pedigree, was born in 1879 in Newington, Southwark to parents William George Anstey and Eliza Harriet Hall.

Frederick was an unmarried warehouse assistant in the 1901 Census at Newington Causeway. He married Alice Florence Bennington in Forehoe, Norfolk in 1909 and by the 1911 Census they were living at Ellora Road Streatham, Wandsworth – he was a ‘woollen warehouseman‘. 

On 12 December 1915, around a year after the outbreak of World War One, Frederick signed up for service at Kingston upon Thames, becoming part of the Army Reserve. On his Attestation Form he noted that he was a tram conductor for ‘LLC Tramways, London’; religion Church of England; and that his next of kin was his wife, Mrs A. F. Anstey, living at 33 Hambro Road, Streatham.

On 31 July 1916 Frederick was called up for active service with the Queen’s (Royal West Surrey Regiment) Unit / Battalion No 2nd Depot Company (Service Number: G20218), joining them at Crawley. He embarked at Devonport on 6 September 1916 arriving in Alexandria, Egypt ten days later “to reinforce 25th Labour Company“, which he joined in Salonika (Thessaloniki) in Greece on 3 October 1916. Their mission was to support the British Salonika Force fighting in the Balkans.

In March 1917 Frederick was posted to the 14th Labour Battalion (Queens) then on 1 June 1917 he was posted to the 201st Labour Company (Service Number: 120006) as a Private. On 25 July 1917 Frederick caught malaria, complaining of “shortness of breath, trembling of hands, and weakness of his legs“. He proceeded to hospital “in the field” and thence to hospital in Salonika (29th General and 52nd General Hospitals). He was discharged a few weeks later “to Convalescent Camp” and thence rejoined his unit in the field in Salonika in September 1917. Then in March 1918 Frederick was assigned to the ‘9th R. Lanc Regiment“, with whom he remained until the war was effectively over.

On 24 December 1918 Frederick went with the 201st Labour Company to Constantinople, Turkey, where he remained until July 1919 “on duty“. Around this time he was granted “Class I Proficiency Pay” for his work with the 201st Labour Company.

Frederick did not actually leave Salonika until August 1919, almost a year after hostilities had ceased, and a month later on 2 September 1919 he was transferred to Class Z Army Reserve on demobilisation, returning home to his family in Streatham.

For his services, Frederick was awarded the British War and the Victory Medals; his Theatres of War were officially “Serbia: region 2a” (from September 1916 to December 1918) and “Gallipoli: region 2b” (from December 1918 to July 1919). In his War Pension records, Frederick was deemed to have suffered “less than 20% disability due to the malaria“, likely to “last for six months” from the time of his demobilisation.

Frederick and his wife Alice had at least four children in Wandsworth, being Wilfred G. Anstey (b 1910); William G. Anstey (b 1912); Frederick H. Anstey (b 1915); and Constance E. Anstey (b 1921).

Frederick died in 1928, still living in Wandsworth.

Anybody who would like to add anything to this biography, please contact us at

%d bloggers like this: