Horace Edgar Anstee (b 1877)

by Gary. M. Ansteychief researcher of the Anstey story project.

Horace Edgar Anstee, a member of the Barnet Anstees, was born on 8 September 1877, baptised 7 December 1877 in Wimbledon, to parents George Anstee and Emma Hammon. He grew up in Wimbledon, living at St Georges Road in the 1891 Census, then in 1900 in Kingston he married Charlotte Susan Edwards – they had children together Winifred Ethel Anstee (b 1901 Wimbledon); Eleanor Alice Mary Anstee (b 1905 Wimbledon); Horace Edward Anstee (b 1910 Raynes Park); Leslie Alexander Anstee (b 1910, died an infant); and likely others after 1911.

In the 1901 Census the family were lodging at 36, Dundonald Road, Wimbledon where Horace was a bricklayer. Around this time he played goalkeeper for the ‘Wimbledon Old Centrals’ football team in the Clapham League together with his brother Eddie – for example the ‘Surrey Comet‘ on 24 October 1903 reported “For the Old Centrals Horace Anstee kept fine goal, but might have saved one of the shots in the first half…”

Horace was still a bricklayer in the 1911 Census where the family were living at 2A Edna Road Bushey Mead Wimbledon; by 1914 the family were living at 54 Clifton Park Avenue, Bushey Mead, which became their long term home.

Just under three years after the outbreak of World War One, on 28 June 1917, Horace was called up for service with the Royal Naval Air Service as an Air Mechanic (Service Number: F32096). He served on ‘President II‘ at Crystal Palace and then Eastchurch, until on 1 April 1918 he was transferred into the newly formed Royal Air Force (Service Number: 232096).

He served as an Air Mechanic 1st Class at Pulham from April 1918 to November 1918, at which point he was transferred to Thorncliffe, having been promoted to ‘Corporal Mechanic’ in September 1918.

Horace was transferred to Crystal Palace in February 1919 and thence to RAF ‘G’ Reserve on 5 March 1919. He was fully discharged on 30 April 1920, having not been injured during the conflict, and by the 1921 Census the family were back together in Croydon. By the 1939 Register Horace and Charlotte were still living at 54 Clifton Park Avenue, Harrison, Merton – he was still a bricklayer.

Horace died in 1967 in Sutton, Surrey.

Anybody who would like to add anything to this biography please contact us at research@theansteystory.com.

%d bloggers like this: