The Subiaco, Western Australia Ansteys

by Gary. M. Ansteychief researcher of the Anstey story project.

Many thanks to Julia for her help in constructing this pedigree. Also many thanks to Jason Anstey, grandson of Lawrence Henry Anstey for his contributions. Also thanks to Yoland Tazewell for her contributions.

Overview of the Subiaco Ansteys

The Subiaco, Western Australia Ansteys are a sub-branch of the Swanbourne Ansteys. The patriarch of the Subiaco, Western Australia Ansteys is Charles Anstey. It has taken a long time to formally make this connection, but the evidence is overwhelming that it is correct.

Charles Anstey (b c1840)

Charles Anstey, “b 1840 son of William Anstey” (per his marriage and death certificate) was born in Swanbourne in c1840 (in March/April 1841 according to the 1841 Census) to parents William Anstee and Margaret Ann Anstee. He grew up in Swanbourne, living at Church Street, Swanbourne in the 1851 Census. Some time in his early adulthood he emigrated to Australia (probably before 1861 as he does not appear in the 1861 UK Census), then he married Sarah Walkington (b 1848 Clare, South Australia, “daughter of Joseph George Walkington“) in September 1866 at the Holy Trinity Church Melrose, Frome, South Australia. Charles Anstey and Sarah moved to Port Augusta, South Australia and had the following children:

  • Alfred [Charles] Anstey (b 1868 Adelaide- see below);
  • William Henry [Budd?] Anstey (b 1871 Adelaide, married Margaret Eta Johnson, known as Maggie, in 1890, had children Thomas Henry Anstey (b 1890 Footscray, died young?); Margaret Annie M. Anstey (b 1893 Footscray); William Charles Anstey (b 21 Sep 1896 Broken Hill, married Maude Whittney in 1923 in Adelaide “WEDDING. ANSTEY—WHITTNEY. A pretty wedding was celebrated at St. Saviour’s Church. Adelaide, on December 31 [1923], between William Charles Anstey, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Anstey, Broken Hill and Maude, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs A. E. Whittney, of Broken Hill.” per the ‘Adelaide Advertiser‘); Theresa Irena? Anstey (b 17 Dec 1898 Broken Hill). The family were living in Nuntherungie, Willyama, Broken Hill in the 1913 Electoral Roll. William Henry Anstey died in Broken Hill in 1935, the ‘Barrier Miner‘ newspaper of 9 September 1935 reporting “TWO OLD RESIDENTS DIE. Two residents of Broken Hill of 45 years standing died yesterday. They were Mrs. Mary Eva Phillips (59) and Mr. William Henry Anstey (64), who were born at Seven Hills, South Australia, and Quorn, respectively… For 25 years Mr. Anstey was employed in the grocery department of Walter Sully and Co., and for the last 12 years had managed his own business at the corner of Lane and Chloride streets. He is survived by a widow, two sons and a daughter. Mr. Anstey was a member of the A.O.K. Lodge. The funeral took place this morning, the cortege leaving his late residence, 336 Chapple-lane, at 11 o’clock. The interment was made in the Church of England Cemetery, the Rev. A. A. Butchart officiating. The A.O.F. Lodge was officially represented by Mr. A. E. Eaton, while the pall bearers were Messrs. G. Heberle, G. Barnett, J. Greeney, T. C. Colmer, F. Carruthers and A. E. Eaton. Tom J. Mallon carried out the funeral arrangements.“);
  • Emma Eleanor Anstey (b 1873 Frome, married Ellis Ellis in Coolgardie on 5 August 1896, they had children Ronald ( Roy) Ellis (enlisted in Norseman in the Army); Sydney Alexander Ellis (boilermaker, 88th infantry who was killed in action enlisted in Kalgoorlie); Alfred Anstey Ellis (b 1904 Coolgardie, who died in November 1924 in Crawley); Lesley Clifford Ellis (ran a barbershop in Rockingham); and John ( Jack) Edward Ellis (b 1910). Emma died in Coolgardie hospital in 1915 of TB of the throat and Ellis Ellis remarried Henrietta Da Costa/Smart, a widow who had 2 children; Finlay and Catherine and they had a further 2 children Alexander Ellis and Robert Ellis. Around the time that Emma died the family moved into Dorothea St, Kalgoorlie where they lived for many years);
  • Edith Elizabeth Anstey (b 1875 Frome, possibly married ‘Mr Long‘);
  • Margaret Jane Anstey (b 1877 Frome, married John Sweeney in Coolgardie in 1897);
  • Florence Anstey (b 1879, Frome, died a young child in 1881);
  • May Ellen Anstey (b 1882, Quorn, a waitress when single, she married John Ernest Hansen Jorgensen on 21 April 1902 at the residence of Mrs Miner in Kamballie. However he died in a tragic mine accident in Coolgardie on 9 January 1906, so May Ellen remarried Robert Merson in 1910 in Dundas and lived in Northwood Street, West Leederville. She died in 1957 in Western Australia);
  • Another Daughter (b ??, married ‘Williams‘)

Charles Anstey was a ‘bootmaker’ and ‘shoemaker’ by trade (confirmed in the ‘Goldfields District Marriage Index‘, also in a c1880 advert where he was described as “Charles Anstey Boot and Shoemaker, Quorn“, as well as numerous entries in the Almanac Directories in Port Augusta/Quorn in the 1870/80s and his daughter May Ellen’s marriage certificate). The family moved from Port Augusta to Quorn in c1880.

Charles Anstey died in December 1886, aged 48 (ie born in 1838) in Quorn, Frome; his widow Sarah Anstey remarried Charles Mines in 1887, also in Quorn, Frome. In the 15 June 1922 edition of the ‘Western Mail‘ newspaper we find: “MINES.—On June 11, 1922 (suddenly), at her daughter’s residence, 34 Northwood-street, West Leederville, Sarah Mines, mother of Alfred Anstey and Wm. Anstey and May Merson, mother-in-law of Annie Anstey and Maggie Anstey, and Robert Merson. A life well spent.

Alfred [Charles] Anstey (b 1868)

Alfred Anstey (aka “Charles Alfred Anstey“, “Alfred C. Anstey” and “C. A. Anstey“) was born on 18 Sep 1868 in Port Augusta, Adelaide to parents Charles Anstey and Sarah Walkington. Per a bible retained in the family today, ‘C. A. Anstey‘ left Quorn (where he grew up) for Broken Hill in 1888 – the inscription in the bible reads ‘A token of friendship for C. A. Anstey on his leaving Quorn for Broken Hill from N. Moorphett 14/2/88‘.

Inside the bible are also inscribed the birth dates of one nephew and one niece ‘William Charls [sic] Anstey borned [sic] Sep 21 1896′ and ‘Theresa Irena? Anstey borned [sic] Dec 17 1898‘. These are the first two children of Alfred Anstey‘s brother William Henry Anstey to be born in Broken Hill (see above) – so we can assume that Alfred Anstey was still in Broken Hill in 1898 and that his brother William Henry Anstey moved there in c1895 or so to join him. By 1903 Alfred Charles Anstey had left Broken Hill, marrying Sara Ann Ford (known as Annie) in Subiaco, Western Australia in that year. They had children:

  • Laura Coral Anstey (b 1903, married Frederick William Bryan Tester in Wesley Church, Subiaco in 1925, alive in 1932);
  • Myrtle A. Anstey (b 1905, alive in 1932)
  • Muriel Anstey (b c1908?, alive in 1932);
  • Ivor Alfred Anstey (b 1910 died 1976 living at Innaloo, buried at Karrakatta Cemetery, Perth);
  • Ruby Anstey (b c1912?, alive in 1932);
  • Roy Anstey (b c1915?, alive in 1932); and
  • Lawrence Henry Anstey (b 1918 Jolimont, Subiaco, married Ethel Joyce Glynn. Lawrence Henry Anstey died in 1982 in Morley, Western Australia, his widow Ethel Joyce Anstey died in 1988 – they are both buried in Karrakatta Cemetery, Perth and have numerous Anstey descendants alive today)

The family were living in Subiaco in c1910. At the time of his mother’s death in 1922 Alfred Charles Anstey was living at Jersey Street, Jolimont, Subiaco – by 1923 he had moved to Lawler Street, Subiaco.

In the ‘Albany Advertiser‘ newspaper on 6 June 1932 we find: “Daglish Fatality – PERTH, June 6.-A mutilated body, identified later as that of Alfred Anstey (65), married, of Subiaco, was found alongside the railway line at Daglish at 6.30 a.m. Saturday, by the stationmaster. Deceased had been run over and killed by a train during the night apparently, and how he came to be on the line is unknown“.

In the 6 June 1932 edition of the ‘West Australian‘ newspaper we find “ANSTEY. — On Friday, June 3, at Subiaco, Alfred, dearly beloved husband of Annie Sarah, loving father of Laura, Myrtle, Muriel, Ivor, Ruby, Roy and Lawrence, loving grandpa of Braan, Kenneth, Gloria and Allen; aged 63 years. In the sweet by-and-bye, We shall meet on that beautiful shore.

In the 21 June 1932 edition of the ‘West Australian‘ newspaper we find “The Late Mr. A. Anstey. The funeral of the late Mr. Alfred Anstey took place on June 6 in the Wesleyan portion of the Karrakatta Cemetery. The high esteem in which Mr. Anstey was held was evidenced by the large gathering of relatives and friends at the grave side. The late Mr. Anstey was very widely known on the goldfields, especially the Southern Cross district, where he had been underground manager on the Jackalettie mine. He was also prospector of the Comet mine with Mr. Jack Richardson and Mr. Thomas Worth. About 13 years ago the deceased left the fields and came to Perth, and became a shareholder in the Boronia Flour Mills. He was still a share holder at the time of his death. The cortege moved from his late residence, 45 Lawler-street, Subiaco. The chief mourners were: Mrs. Sarah Anstey (widow), Messrs. Ivor, Ray and Lawrence Anstey (sons), Misses Laura, Myrtle, Muriel, and Ruby Anstey (daughters) . Mrs. R. Merson and Mrs. G Williams (sisters). Messrs. R. Merson and R. Ford (brothers-in-law), Mesdames Ti. Clyde, E. Faul, F. Ferguson, M. Jarrett and C. Chappell (sisters in law), B. Nichols. O. Tester, G. Mills. T. Ford, D. Ford, and M Chappell (nieces). Messrs. F. C. Merson. R. Merson, N. Clyde, C. Mills. F. Ferguson, and K. Ferguson (nephews), G. Tester and R. Williams (sons-in-law). The pall-bearers were Messrs. Cambridge, Worth. Hamblin, Guerin. Bin, Blow and Bowers.

Alfred Anstey was buried at Karrakatta Cemetery. His widow Annie Sarah Anstey was buried in 1963 “aged 85“, also at Karrakatta Cemetery – she was still living in Subiaco.

Further Details on the Subiaco Ansteys

#1. Jean Alexandra Anstey, who was living in Subiaco in 1971 when she was buried in Karrakatta Cemetery “aged 96“, is NOT connected to the Subiaco Ansteys – she is a member of the Filleigh Ansteys.

#2. Anstey Street in Port Augusta and Anstey Road in nearby Quorn are likely named after members of this sub-branch, but currently we are unable to establish who or when.

We are actively on the lookout for Subiaco, Western Australia Anstey experts alive today who are willing to add their findings and knowledge to this project. We are particularly interested in research regarding Subiaco, Western Australia Ansteys who fought in World War One, preferably with personal souvenirs such as letters sent by the soldiers or military photos etc. 

Anybody who has such expertise and inclination, please contact us at research@theansteystory.com.

We have already uploaded bits of information and documentation about the Subiaco, Western Australia Ansteys, and continue to upload more all the time (see Project Updates), however it is spread over various segments of the website.

The best way to find said information is to enter ‘Subiaco’ in the search box at the bottom of this page and a list of relevant pages will appear.

Anybody who finds any mistakes on this page, please contact us at research@theansteystory.com and we will correct it.

%d bloggers like this: