Some of the Ivinghoe Anstees of Buckinghamshire are a sub-branch of the Flamstead Anstees. The current status of our research into the Ivinghoe Anstees is as follows:
Benjamin Anstee was born in Flamstead in 1784, son of John Anstee and Sarah Marks. He married Jane, who was born in 1781 in Cheddington in Buckinghamshire and they moved to first Ivinghoe (where they were still living in 1830 according to the Countess of Bridgewater’s Account Books), then later Tring by 1841 and finally Kempston, Bedfordshire by 1851. Benjamin and Jane had the following children:
- Thomas Anstee (b 1810 Ivinghoe – who married Suzannah and was living in Ivinghoe in the 1841 Census together with two sons William and Benjamin. By the 1851 Census the family was living in Union House in Bedfordshire);
- Sarah Anstee (b 1811 Ivinghoe – who was living in Ivinghoe in the 1841 Census with her brothers and sisters. Appears never to have married and was living in Newport Pagnell with her brother William in 1871);
- William Anstee (b 1816 Ivinghoe – who was living in Ivinghoe in the 1841 Census with his brothers and sisters. He married and moved to Caldecott, Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire where he had children including William Albert (b 1852). By 1861 William was widowed, living with his family in Newport Pagnell. His nephew Benjamin, son of John, was with him. William was still living in Newport Pagnell in 1871);
- Elizabeth Anstee (b 1824 Ivinghoe – who was living with her parents Benjamin and Jane in Tring in the 1841 Census. She married Thomas Corder and they were living in Kempston, Bedfordshire with parents Benjamin and Jane in the 1851 Census);
- John Anstee (b 1824 Ivinghoe – who was living in Ivinghoe in the 1841 Census with his brothers and sisters. He married Ellen and had numerous children including a son Benjamin, born in Kempston, Bedfordshire in 1855, who was with his uncle William in the 1861 Census);
- Ann Anstee (b c1826 Ivinghoe – who was living in Ivinghoe in the 1841 Census with her brothers and sisters);
- Jane Anstee (b c1826 Ivinghoe – who was living in Ivinghoe in the 1841 Census with her brothers and sisters. She married Robert Mackechnie in 1844 in Ivinghoe, where her father was confirmed as Benjamin Anstee);
Note: We also have a 18 February 1797 marriage in Ivinghoe between a John Anstee and Mary Bates, “both of Ivinghoe“. John Anstee is of the Hemel Hempstead Anstees.
We have already uploaded bits of information and documentation about the Ivinghoe Anstees, and continue to upload more all the time (see Project Updates), however it is spread over various segments of the website.
The best way to find said information is to enter ‘Ivinghoe’ in the search box at the bottom of this page and a list of relevant pages will appear.
We are actively on the lookout for Ivinghoe Anstees alive today who are willing to add their Anstey research to this project. Anybody who has already researched this sub-branch, please contact us at email@example.com.