The Stoke Gifford Ansteys, the sub-branch to which researchers G. M. Anstey (Gary) and T. J. Anstey (Tom) belong, trace their origins to John Anstey, who was baptised in 1751 in Iron Acton to parents William Anstey of Dyrham and Amy Parks. Hence the Stoke Gifford Ansteys are a sub-branch of the Dyrham Anstees, both of which form part of the South Gloucestershire Anstey pedigree.
How the Stoke Gifford Ansteys fit into the overall Anstey pedigree is illustrated nicely in the below schematic, which will appear in the fourth edition of ‘ANSTEY: Our True Surname Origin and Shared Medieval Ancestry‘ when it is completed.
The entirety of the Stoke Gifford Anstey pedigree has now been mapped out by researchers Gary and Tom. The lives of all of the early Stoke Gifford Ansteys is known in great detail, and they are all thoroughly documented in the book
‘ANSTEY: The Stoke Gifford Branch‘
This is the fourth book co-authored by Gary and Tom, the first edition of which was privately printed in September 2019. Further research for the second edition is currently under way, for eventual publication and sale on Amazon, subject to there being enough demand to cover the costs of publication (anybody interested in being contacted when this second edition is available for purchase, please contact us at email@example.com).
It is intended that much of the contents of this book will be uploaded to this Anstey project website over time for all to enjoy. We have already uploaded quite a bit of information and documentation about the Stoke Gifford Ansteys, and continue to upload more each day (see Project Updates), however it is spread over various segments of the website.
The best way to find said information is to enter ‘Stoke Gifford’ in the search box at the bottom of this page and a list of relevant pages will appear.
Brief Summary of the early Stoke Gifford Anstey Pedigree
John Anstey married Christian Webb at St Michael’s Church in Stoke Gifford on 1 April 1777, and they had seven children being:
- Christian (baptised in Frampton Cotterell on 19 July 1778);
- Elizabeth (baptised in Frampton Cotterell on 3 October 1780);
- Amy (aka Emma – baptised in Frampton Cotterell on 3 August 1783);
- Mary (baptised 26 June 1785 in Frampton Cotterell);
- William (‘father of eleven’ – baptised in Frampton Cotterell on 21 March 1787);
- Thomas (‘father of thirteen’ – baptised in Stoke Gifford on 10 February 1791); and
- Dinah (baptised in Stoke Gifford on 10 February 1791).
Principal Stoke Gifford Ansteys
- John Anstey (b 1751) – patriarch of the Stoke Gifford Ansteys
- Thomas Anstey (b 1761) – brother of John and “effective” patriarch of the Stoke Gifford Ansteys even though he had no children
- William Anstey (b 1787) – father of eleven
- Thomas Anstey (b 1791) – father of thirteen
We will continue to add to this page presently…please be patient.