- Overview of the New Zealand Ansteys
- New Zealand Anstey Pioneers
- New Zealand Anstey War Heroes
- New Zealand Landmarks Called ‘Anstey’
Overview of the New Zealand Ansteys
There is no such thing as a single New Zealand ‘Anstey’, Ansty’, ‘Anstee’ and ‘Anstie’ sub-branch. New Zealand Ansteys form a gallimaufry of offshoots of sub-branches, however they all have one thing in common, being that they can ALL ultimately trace back their ‘Anstey’ lineage to England, joining with one of the known English Anstey sub-branches.
So however Kiwi you may feel, if you are an ‘Anstey’ (or ‘Anstee’, ‘Ansty’ or ‘Anstie’) you have plenty of English blood and therefore rightly should always hope that England beat the All Blacks at rugby (even though that hardly ever happens). Furthermore, the overwhelming majority of ‘Anstey’, Ansty’, ‘Anstee’ and ‘Anstie’ in New Zealand are direct descendants of Hubert de Anstey, the first holder and originator of the Anstey surname in 1143.
Having said that, there are some ‘Anstey’, Ansty’, ‘Anstee’ and ‘Anstie’ sub-branches in New Zealand who have long since settled there. Those sub-branches which we have begun documenting which have connections to New Zealand include the:
- Bampton Ansteys
- Chew Magna Ansteys
- Port Elliot, South Australia Ansteys
- Riccarton Ansteys
- Stoke Gifford Ansteys
- Timaru Ansteys
- Tiverton Ansteys
- Tywardreath Ansteys
New Zealand Anstey Pioneers
We are actively on the lookout for stories of New Zealand ‘Anstey’, Ansty’, ‘Anstee’ and ‘Anstie’ pioneers who first made the journey from (probably) England to New Zealand (likely in the 1800s or early 1900s) and then settled there, spawning Anstey sub-branches which thrive in New Zealand to this day. Anybody who wishes to share such information please contact us at email@example.com.
So far, we have uploaded information on the following New Zealand Anstey pioneers:
- Charles Lloyd Anstey (Junior) (b 1890) of the Stoke Gifford Ansteys who emigrated to Manaia, near Normanby in 1912
- Charles William Gibbs Anstey (b 1886) of the Chew Magna Ansteys who emigrated to Temaku, Timaru in c1911
- George Alexander Anstey (b 1814) of the Bampton Ansteys who held lands in Christchurch in c1895
- John Anstey (b 1856) of the Tiverton Ansteys, patriarch of the Timaru Ansteys
- Samuel Anstey (b 1845) of the Tywardreath Ansteys, who settled in Christchurch from c1880 until his death
- William Anstey (b 1835) of a currently unknown sub-branch, patriarch of the Riccarton Ansteys
New Zealand Anstey War Heroes
- Charles Lloyd Anstey (Junior) of the Stoke Gifford Ansteys (1890-1917)
- Charles William Gibbs Anstey of the Chew Magna Ansteys (b 1886)
- William Manley Anstey of the Timaru Ansteys (b 1899)
- Winifred Ethel Anstey of the Tywardreath Ansteys (b 1883)
New Zealand Landmarks Called ‘Anstey’
Please be patient – we will upload shortly
We have already uploaded bits of information and documentation about the New Zealand Ansteys, and continue to upload more all the time (see Project Updates), however it is spread over various segments of the website.
The best way to find said information is to enter ‘New Zealand’ in the search box at the bottom of this page and a list of relevant pages will appear.
There are some Anstey sub-branches in New Zealand who have long since settled there and we are actively seeking any research or other documentation such as correspondence that New Zealand Ansteys might like to share with others on this Anstey project website, especially stories regarding the earliest ‘Anstey’, Ansty’, ‘Anstee’ and ‘Anstie’ ancestors who arrived in New Zealand from England. We are also very interested in New Zealand Ansteys who fought in any wars.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any such information if you are willing to share it.