The entirety of the Stoke Gifford Anstey pedigree has now been mapped out and the lives of all of the early Stoke Gifford Ansteys, including William Anstey (b 1820), is known in great detail. They are all thoroughly documented in the book
‘ANSTEY: The Stoke Gifford Branch‘
This is the fourth book co-authored by Gary and Tom, the first edition of which was privately printed in September 2019. Further research for the second edition is currently under way, for eventual publication and sale on Amazon, subject to there being enough demand to cover the costs of publication (anybody interested in being contacted when this second edition is available for purchase, please contact us at email@example.com).
It is intended that much of the contents of this book will be uploaded to this Anstey project website over time for all to enjoy.
William Anstey (Anstey researcher Gary‘s ‘great x 3’ grandfather) was born on 24 June 1820, baptised 13 September 1820 in Kington, Thornbury to parents Thomas Anstey (father of thirteen) and Catherine Williams. He married Mary Rowlands on 7 March 1854 at St Cadoc’s Church in Caerleon; witnesses were Mary’s brother Joseph Rowlands and William’s sister Ellen Anstey. They had six children, being:
- Ellen Anstey (b 7 January 1855, baptised at St Tegfedd, Llandegfedd on 25 May 1856 aged sixteen months);
- Elizabeth Anstey (b 17 January 1856, also baptised at St Tegfedd, Llandegfedd on 25 May 1856);
- Thomas Henry Anstey (b 1857 Anstey researcher Gary‘s ‘great x 2’ grandfather – see below b 29 July 1857, baptised 23 August 1857 at Llangattock Juxta Caerleon);
- Sarah Anstey (b 28 January 1859, baptised 6 March 1859 at Llangattock Juxta Caerleon. In the 1911 Census she was unmarried and living with her aunts Ellen Anstey and Catherine Daniell at Broad Street Chipping Sodbury);
- Catherine [Kate] Anstey (b 1861 – see below, known as Aunt Kate, b 6 October 1861, baptised 19 July 1870 at Llangattock Juxta Caerleon); and
- Mary Maria Anstey (b 1863, died an infant in 1864, buried at the Baptist Church in Caerleon).
Note: We will add much more detail on the lives of this family presently.