See ‘Anstey: A Complete History From the Norman Invasion to World War One‘ for much more on the Houghton Regis Anstees. In addition to biographies of various Anstey individuals who make up this sub-branch, the book contains a plethora of Anstey research and statistics, including an analysis of how the Houghton Regis Anstees fit into the pedigree descendent from Hubert de Anesti, the 12th century originator of the ‘Anstey’ surname.
HR 24. James John Anstee: He was born in 1869 in St George’s Southwark (some sources say Blackfriars) to parents James John Anstee (HR 21) and Susan Blackbourn [Blackburn]. He married Florence Louisa Ridgewell in 1890 in St Olave Southwark and they had children:
- Frederick James Anstee (b 1891 Bermondsy, living with family in the 1911 Census);
- Violet Florence Anstee (b 1898 Bermondsy, living with family in the 1911 Census);
- Cyril Sydney Anstee (b 1900 Hackney, died in 1903);
- Stanley Edward Anstee (b 1906 Deptford, living with family in the 1911 Census);
- Leslie Arthur Anstee (b 1908 Deptford, living with family in the 1911 Census. The ‘Woolwich Herald‘ 29 August 1919 reported “BOYS AND APPLES. At Woolwich Children’s Court yesterday, Robert Batley, 12, of 124, Canterbury-road, New Cross, Leslie Anstie, 11, and William Anstee 9, of 8, Rawlins-street Deptford were charged with stealing apples from an orchard at Bexley road, Etham, the property of James Grace. The two elder boys were fined 6s. each, in including the damage, and the younger boy 4s.“);
- William George Anstee (b 1910 Deptford, living with family in the 1911 Census – also see above re 1919);
- Charles H. Anstee (b 1915 Deptford); and
- one other child (died before 1911)
In 1901 he was a public house manager living at 54, Holloway Road, Islington. In the 1911 Census he was a house painter living with his family at 8 Rollins Street S E, St Paul Deptford, and the family were still there in 1919.
Anybody who can add anything to this account, or finds any mistakes on this page, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.