See ‘Anstey: A Complete History From the Norman Invasion to World War One‘ for much more on the Houghton Regis Anstees. In addition to biographies of various Anstey individuals who make up this sub-branch, the book contains a plethora of Anstey research and statistics, including an analysis of how the Houghton Regis Anstees fit into the pedigree descendent from Hubert de Anesti, the 12th century originator of the ‘Anstey’ surname.
HR 20. Robert George Anstee: Known frequently as George, he was born in 1834, baptised in Staines on 3 September 1834, to parents John Anstee (HR 19) and Harriet Ann Knotts. By the 1851 Census, he was a ‘servant’ living with his uncle John Knotts ‘fishmonger’ at Red Cross Street, Saint Saviour. He married Anne Elizabeth Baker (b 1836 Finsbury) in 1853 in East London and they had children:
- Robert George Anstee (HR 22 – b 1854 Bermondsey);
- Harriet Anstee (b 1858 Bermondsey, alive in 1871);
- Matthew Anstee (b 1861 Southwark Bermondsey, married Ellen Phillips in 1888 in Southwark and he became a railway porter – they had no children. In the 1901 Census they were living at 65, Darwin Street, St George the Martyr Southwark and in the 1911 Census 9 Tustin St Peckham – he was admitted to the Amalgamated Society Of Railway Servants in 1911 and he died in 1921 in Southwark);
- Mary Anstee (b 1863 Bermondsey, alive in 1871);
- John Anstee (HR 23 – b 1865 Islington/Southwark);
- Jane Anstee (b 1867 Surrey, alive in 1871);
- Eber? Anstee (b 1869 Bethnal Green, alive in 1871); and
- Joe Anstee (b 1870 Newington, alive in 1881)
In 1861 the family were living at 6, Valentine Row, St George, Southwark – he was a wine cooper. By the 1871 Census the family was living at Barlow Street, St Mary Newington, St Saviour Southwark – he was still a wine cooper. By 1881 he was living with his ‘wife’ Mary (b 1835 Bermondsey) and son Joe (b 1870) at 1, Lower Bland Street, Newington – he was still a cooper.
Anybody who can add anything to this account, or finds any mistakes on this page, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.