See ‘Anstey: A Complete History From the Norman Invasion to World War One‘ for much more on the Newport Pagnell Anstees. In addition to biographies of various Anstey individuals who make up this sub-branch, the book contains a plethora of Anstey research and statistics, including an analysis of how the Newport Pagnell Anstees fit into the pedigree descendent from Hubert de Anesti, the 12th century originator of the ‘Anstey’ surname.
NP 8. Thomas Anstee: He was born in Newport Pagnell in 1817, baptised 16 May 1817, to parents James Kilby Anstee (NP 6) and Sarah Row. He married Harriet Hewitt [Hewiett] in 1841 in Pottersbury and they had children in Stony Stratford, Potterspury:
- Charles Anstee (b 1842);
- James Anstee (NP 11 – b 1844);
- Lucy Anstee (b 1846, died young?);
- Ann Anstee (b 1848);
- Frederick Anstee (b 1850, known as Fred. He married Sarah Frisby in 1876 in Pottersbury and in 1881 he was a groom living with his ‘Frisby’ brothers in law at Cottage, Naseby, Brixworth, Northamptonshire. In 1885 there was a court case “Samuel Adnit Naseby grocer v Fred Anstee West Haddon, coachman“. He was a widower and domestic coachman in the 1911 Census at Pitsford Northampton – there is no indication of any children);
- Clara Anstee (b 1852 Wolverton, married John Woodward in c1896 and in the 1911 Census she was living with her husband and brother Thomas at 5 Jubilee Terrace Stony Stratford);
- Thomas Anstee (b 1855, a servant at High Street, St Mary Magdalene, Potterspury in 1871. He married Eliza Henson in Pottersbury in 1885 and in the 1891 Census they were at High Street, Stony Stratford West where he was a coachman. By the 1911 Census he was a widower and cab driver living with his sister Clara at 5 Jubilee Terrace Stony Stratford); and
- Harriet Anstee (b 1861)
In the 1851 Census he was a postboy living at High Street, Stony Stratford West, Potterspury – ditto 1861. By 1871 they were at Church Street, St Giles, Potterspury. He died in Pottersbury in 1876 – “Death: November 29, Stony Stratford, Mr. Thomas Anstee, (for upwards of 40 years post-boy the Cock Hotel in this town), aged 63 years“.
Anybody who can add anything to this account, or finds any mistakes on this page, please contact us at email@example.com.