See ‘Anstey: A Complete History From the Norman Invasion to World War One‘ for much more on the Evenley Ansteys. In addition to biographies of various Anstey individuals who make up this sub-branch, the book contains a plethora of Anstey research and statistics, including an analysis of how the Evenley Ansteys fit into the pedigree descendent from Hubert de Anesti, the 12th century originator of the ‘Anstey’ surname.
EV 8. William Anstee: He was born in 1857 in Evenley (as ‘Anstey’ – some sources say Astwick, Northants) to parents William Anstey (EV 7) and Sarah Ashton. He was living with parents in 1871 in Evenley, an unmarried agricultural labourer. He married Hannah Wells in 1880 in Brackley and they had children in Croughton, Brackley:
- Emily Anstee (b 1880, alive in 1911);
- George William Anstee (b 1882, unmarried in the 1911 Census working as a coachman at Swifts House Stables Bicester Oxon);
- Albert Henry Anstee (EV 10 – b 1884, confusingly known also as Henry, Harry and Henry Albert – served during World War One);
- Thomas Anstee (b 1886, married Emily Louise Hutt in 1909 in Croughton and they had at least one son William T. Anstee (b 1910). In the 1911 Census Thomas was a waggoner on a farm living with his family at Blenheim Croughton Brackley);
- Mary Ann Anstee (b 1888, an unmarried servant at Pimlico Farm Tusmore Bicester in the 1911 Census);
- Florence Sarah Anstee (b 1890, an unmarried domestic servant at Qourn Lodge Quorn, Quorndon in the 1911 Census);
- Edward Anstee (b 1891, an unmarried farm labourer living with his parents in the 1911 Census);
- Charles Anstee (b 1893, an unmarried farm labourer living with his parents in the 1911 Census);
In the 1891 Census the family were living with Hannah’s father George Wells at Main Street, Croughton. In the 1911 Census William Anstee was a farm labourer living with his family at Croughton Brackley, Croughton – he died in 1915, buried on 28 January 1915 at All Saints Croughton.
Anybody who can add anything to this account, or finds any mistakes on this page, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.